This article covers how to create custom pronunciation rules for text-to-speech voice calls.
As part of text-to-speech best practices, if there are common words that might be mispronounced in your area, make sure to add those words to the Pronunciation Table. This way, when a word is typed correctly, text to speech will convert it and say it correctly.
Acronyms, URLs, Codes, Letters, Numbers, and Times can also be added.
Creating a Custom Pronunciation
- To add a word, click on Manage Custom Pronunciation under Settings.
- Click Create New Phonetic Spelling Record.
- Type the acronym, word, etc. in the Word field.
- Type the phonetic spelling, or the words you would want it to say, in the Phonetic Spelling field.
- To make the pronunciation slower, add spaces between the characters.
- Press Submit.
If you want to make sure the word sounds correct for text to speech, use the Preview Message function to send yourself a phone call, using our telephony, to make sure it sounds right.
- If it does not quite sound correct, you can always click on the word/item you want to edit and change the phonetics and try again.