Learn how to create and manage internal groups that your employees can be added to
See the Managing Groups in a Directory guide for helpful tips and answers to frequently asked questions.
Create a New Group or Edit an Existing
1. Either select the group you would like to edit, or click 'Add Group' in the top right corner of the Manage Groups page.
2. Complete or Edit the Group Details form
Group Form Overview
- Classification - Required
- The classification field is auto populated based on the directory or parent group that you entered the Group Details form from.
- There is no need to change this value.
Changing the classification field can cause conflicts with group structures. A groups classification must match its parent (if applicable) and the directory that it is associated with.
- Parent - Optional
- If you want to nest this group within another existing group, you can select a parent. If the parent field is left unchanged, this group will be placed at the top level of your group structure.
- Group Name - Required
- A friendly/helpful name for the group
- Notes - Optional
- These are for internal use only and can be used to help describe what the group is used for.
Add Contacts to a Group
Contacts can be added to an existing group by selecting your desired group from the Manage Groups page. Contacts cannot be added while creating a new group. To add contacts to a new group, complete the form and then select it from the management page.
When creating nested group structures, users should only be placed into the lowest level of nesting. Using the screen shot above, you'll notice there are no contacts in the Internal or Testing groups. Since both groups contain child groups, all of the contacts are placed in groups at lowest level within the group tree.
- Select your desired group from the Manage Groups page.
- Under the Group Internal Members section of the card, click the Add Members button to open a pop-up with the Available Members selection box.
- Search for contact names or select from Available Members.
- Select a member by clicking on their name. Once a name is selected, it will move to the Selected Members box.
- To remove users from a group, click their name in the Selected Members box and they will return to the Available Members box.
Creating Child Groups
As mentioned above, you can create a child group by modifying the parent dropdown field on the Group Details form.
You may also create a child group when updating an existing group by clicking the 'Add New Child Group' button.
Clicking this button will take you through the group creation process outlined above, but the parent dropdown field will be auto populated with the correct parent group.
Creating Linked Groups
For advanced users, you can also add groups as linked children so administrators who may be locked into seeing only certain groups can send alerts to a group but won't be able to add/remove/delete any members from that group.
- To add a group as a linked child, click Add Existing Group as Linked Child.
A Linked Child group is indicated as a chain link icon next to the group so admins know the data is linked from somewhere else and not maintained by them.